Week 3

From Haines, Alaska
To Anchorage, Alaska

Day 15

Monday, July 15, 2019.  Week 3 begins!

We started the day by going to the Haines Sheldon Museum, which covers history, art and culture of the local Tlingit people. When Jim and I were later talking about what we saw and learned, our experiences seemed to be quite different. I really enjoyed the art, whether it was woven, beaded or carved. There were also many panels with the word “Perspectives: Two World Views” at the top and two columns of text underneath, one with the Tlingit word and the other had the Anglo-American word defined from 19th Century Anglo-American worldview. By reading the two columns you could understand the cultural differences. For example:


A young person in Tlingit society had many people who would properly educate them and look after their wellbeing. Children were raised by their parents, the elders and nobility, who would teach stories, morals and etiquette. Maternal aunts and uncles would teach children how to be a proper adult and teach children crafts and skills. In return elders were taken care of in their old age.  The Tlingit worldview comes from Jilkaat Scholar Zack James.


Education comprises all that series of instruction and discipline which is intended to enlighten the understanding, correct the temper, and form the manners and habits of youth, and fit them for usefulness in their future stations. To give children a good education in manners, art and science, is important; to give them a religious education is indispensable; and an immense responsibility rests on parents and guardians who neglect these duties.  This 19th Century Anglo-American worldview comes from Webster’s 1828 dictionary.”

I sat for a while in the room where local artists were displaying their work. It was a beautiful location, with a view out the window that was in itself a piece of art.

When I had finished in the museum (I’m a much faster reader than Jim), I asked for the keys to the car so I could go out and do a little writing. When I got to the gift shop, I stopped and talked to the girl who was working there and asked if she had grown up there. She told me that yes, she was born there and was going to be a junior in high school next fall. I told her we had met a young man the day before whose birthday it was, and he was also going to be a junior. She told me that was Wesley, and she had gone to the prom with him the previous year. Small towns are awesome! As she and I were talking, her replacement-volunteer arrived.   She left and Bob sat down in her place. I started asking him questions and I learned quite a lot about him, Alaska in general, and Haines in more detail. Bob and I both grew up in Michigan. He moved to Alaska after getting his Master’s Degree in Education from Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo. His first teaching job was in Anchorage, where he met is wife, a fellow teacher. After ten years living there, they decided that Anchorage was too much like living in any other big city in the lower 48, so they picked Haines, packed up and moved here to start a family. They have lived here for 47 years, 22 of which he taught 8th grade at the local school. He has also been a commercial fisherman, a wildlife photographer, tour guide . . . a very interesting conversationalist. He has written two books, which we bought and he autographed.

I found it very interesting to learn about the winter weather here. It is quite mild in Haines, with temperatures usually ranging from 25 to 35 degrees F, sometimes getting down to as low as -15. Haines has an average of 121 inches of snow per year, but with temperatures frequently rising to just about freezing, the level on the ground is usually not more than 3 to 4 feet at a time.

After my conversation, with Bob, Jim joined me and we went to lunch at Geno’s for the second day in a row of fish and chips. Jim was then off to the fish packer and I went to Some Things Fishy to look at locally made textiles: beautiful quilts, towels, wall hangings, placemats, potholders and hot pads. Jim joined me after his tour of the fish packing plant and we bought some Christmas gifts for family. Afterwards Jim went to look at knives and hammers, and I came back to the campground to do some reading and get my feet up.

By opening yourself up, you can meet people everywhere. Just stop and ask a question which can lead to many good conversations. We have already met so many warm and interesting people from all over the world and it has been a great learning experience. ME

The Haines Packing Company & The Hammer Museum
Today we were out and about in Haines Alaska. We went to the Sheldon Museum which was full of local history and examples of “First Nations” artifacts. The exhibits really touch me deeply and I took my time reading about most of the items on display. Here is a sample of what is there.

On making dancing blankets/robes. The yarn was made from Mountain Goat wool, how the wool was gathered, made into yarn, and dyed with natural dyes made from flowers, bark, and moss. The patterns were different depending on the artist and their clan. Clan examples are wolf, eagle, crow, or frog. The pattern boards displayed were black on boards and displayed ½ of the pattern that would be mirrored in the woven item. There were baskets made from Sitka Spruce roots, with a narrative describing the harvesting of the tiny roots.

Another thing on display was a dugout canoe with several placards describing John Muir’s visit to the area in the 1800s. Which we heard about in detail in an audio book by him we listened to on the way as we traveled. Bottom line on the Shelton gallery was that I took hours to see/read. ME asked for the keys to go sit in the truck. But I found here downstairs in the gift shop talking to Bob. I will let her tell you about Bob.

After the Sheldon we went to Gino’s Fish & Chips trailer again for lunch. Wonderful.

Haines Packing Company: After lunch we went out to the packing company where they process/sell packaged salmon, halibut and crab. On the same property is the Some Things Fishy gift shop. We first went into Some Things Fishy. Since ME had no desire to see what was going on in the packing company I went alone and left her to the fishy items.

The tour of the packing company was not a tour at all. On the water side of the building there was a covered board walk with windows into the packing plant. I walked along the board walk and looked in the windows. The plant was working Halibut. And processing it in two forms. There were 7 or 8 guys working on a large cutting table. They took Halibut and filleted them. If the fillets were pristine they went into a bin and were sent to the end of the building where 2 workers had square wire shelves with ¼ inch thick plastic sheets in the bottom. The shelves went on a pallet and could be stacked maybe 8 or 10 high. The workers first washed the plastic sheets and squeegeed them off. Next they pulled the whole fillets out of the bin and placed them very neatly one after the other until the shelf was full. It took maybe 6 fillets to complete one shelf. Next another shelf was placed on top, plastic cleaned, squeegeed and loaded with these beautiful 3+ foot long, 8+ inches wide and 1 to 1-1/2 inches thick fillets. I believe the next stop was a freezer.

Not so perfect fillets…. When a fish is being filleted it can be inadvertently cut in a way that makes it less than perfect. At the other end of the building the not so perfect fillets and many perfect fillets as well were being processed. This process cut the filets into chunks that were about 2-1/2 to 3 inches square and the thickness varied depending on where in the fillet was being cut at the moment. The thickness at the end of a fillet was maybe ¾ – 1 inch thick and in the center to the head end of the fillet it was more like 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inches thick. Then the chunks were placed into a dredging machine that ran them thru a liquid and then thru flaky breading, depositing them onto a try. 2 women took the breaded chunks and placed them on a plastic tray about 48 inches square with upturned sides 1-1/2 inches high. The plastic trays were placed on a rack again I believe for freezing before packaging.

Hammer Museum:  OK, so as we were reading the 2019 Visitor’s Guide for Haines we got while still in Haines Junction, YT we saw an ad for the Hammer Museum. I have seen many museums in my time but never really thought about a hammer museum. With my history of being a mechanic and wood worker I was intrigued, had to see it.

Dave had been a hammer collector all his life. When he was digging the foundation for his new house in Haines he found a Tlingit Warrior’s hammer. With that discovery he decided to make his new home also a hammer museum to display his collection. As time went on the collection grew into what it is now. Out front are a wooden 20-foot tall claw hammer and a pile driving hammer. The pile driving hammer was gifted by the company who build the cruise ship dock in Haines several years ago. This hammer is about 3 feet wide, 5 feet tall and 2-1/2 feet thick. It sits next to the stairs into the museum.

Hammers were one of man’s first tools. And the Hammer Museum has a 2500 year-old hammer from Roman times, which was used to smooth blocks of stone used in construction. It was a softball size rock of a certain type of stone. I do not remember the type of stone but it was harder than the blocks of stone this hammer was used to smooth.

In modern times I do not believe we really have a grasp of the many uses of specialized hammers. Here are a few examples.

Sugar Hammers were used before there was granulated sugar. You could buy a cone of sugar which was quite large and was solid. Hence you needed a pointed hammer to break off what you needed and the other end with a more normal hammer head to smash the chunk into usable form.

Coal Pick Hammers were given away with the purchase of coal for use in your home furnace. Some coal chunks upon delivery were too large to be used whole. Accordingly the coal supplier would provide a coal pick hammer. The heads were 1-1/2 inches square about 5-6 inches long with one end being a standard hammer head and the other being pointed into a pick. Also all coal pick hammers have a saying of some sort on one side. Examples are “Coal Pick provided by XYZ company”, or “A pick a day makes the furnace run smooth”.

Log Marking Hammers are of various sizes depending on where they were used and what was being marked. They all have letters or numbers or some combination on the use end. As lumber was harvested or milled the hammers were used to mark the ends denoting the company.

Sheet Metal Hammers were of many varieties for bending/forming sheet metal.

Stone Working Hammers modern stone workers need different hammers to form/shape/smooth stone or bricks they may be working on.

Engraving Hammers used with all manner of chisels to do very fine work making beautiful scenes on wooden/metal objects.

Waring Hammers of many types from many places around the world are on display.

Nut Hammers of several kinds and several sizes for cracking nuts.

And the Patent Wall shows examples of maybe 50 hammers displayed with their patent document from the patent office.

If you ever get to Haines I recommend a visit to the Hammer Museum because I could only touch the surface of the many, many different hammers on display.  JMS

Day 16

Tuesday, July 16, 2019.  Thinking about this being our last day in Haines makes me sad.  Three days was all it took to fall in love with the people, the setting, and the way of life.

The Haines Packing Company – Take 2

On Tuesday Mary Ellen remembered that yesterday (Monday, July 15th) while at the “Some Things Fishy” gift shop we did not buy one of their handmade litter bags for inside our car. And as everyone knows having an “in the car” litter bag is essential while driving on long trips. Accordingly we made a run out to STF to get a litter bag.

Since I have the credit card we are using for the trip ME stayed in the car. The gift shop is on the same property as the Haines Packing Company. I said I wanted to check to see if the packing plant was running Halibut again or Salmon.

Haines Packing Company has a cute logo. It is a Yosemite Sam look alike holding a fish up in each hand while saying “Feed ‘em Fish.” As I walked toward the gift shop I first went around the packing plant to the boardwalk and peered into the windows. To my delight they were running Salmon. What a difference. The salmon are fork lift driven into the plant in large pallet bins with lids. The lid is pulled and the bin is dumped into a stainless-steel hopper. The fish flow by gravity out of this hopper onto a table where 2 women place them on a conveyer. They are laid flat between 3 pins. 2 pins are on the low side under the belly and the third pin is at the top of the back. The heads stick out to the left. The conveyer takes the fish into a machine and each fish stops for the guillotine to chop off the head. The heads all fall into a grinder. My guess is this is one of the sources of that wonderful snooty cat food. You know “Made with fresh Salmon.”

Then it is onto a table where each fish is placed belly up in a stainless “V” sheet metal tray. A worker with a fillet knife goes in the bung hole and slits the belly skin up to about an inch from where the head used to be. Next 2 guys are pulling out the roe and putting it into a big bin for further processing. Then they pull the rest of the guts out and place that into a slot that washes them into the grinder. The next guy has a curved metal scrapper about an inch wide and he scraps out any remain guts. This is followed by a wash by a worker with a hose and a special nozzle. Then all fish are onto a conveyer where one guy sorts them into several bins. I guess the sorting is by both size and species.

After working in a Kraft Foods factory, a chewing guy factory, a fiberglass factory, a still factory, a soldering iron factory, and a ballast factory, I love seeing how different products are made/processed.

Next it was off to Some Things Fishy to buy not one but 2 litter bag holders. One for each of our trucks….. Mine is cuter.  JMS

After the second trip to the Packing Company/Some Things Fishy, we took a drive to the end of Rutak Road.  Along the way we drove past the Alaska Marine Highway Ferry Terminal that takes passengers and vehicles to and from Skagway.  We saw fishwheels, a bald eagle, road work being done, avalanche areas, waterfalls, and all manner of  homes.  From big and grand to tiny and dilapidated, these homes were nestled side by side at the edge of the forest, overlooking Chilcoot Lake and the hazy mountains in the distance.

We ended the day with a drive through the town of Haines to reminisce about the things we had seen, done, and the wonderful people we had met.  For some reason, this place captured our hearts and we will miss it.

Day 17

Wednesday, July 17, 2019.   We left Haines on the clearest day we have had for a long time, but as we drove on, the clouds began rolling in again. We drove the 42 miles to the border crossing where we dealt with a Canadian border patrol officer who was much less friendly than those we had dealt with previously on the trip. No smiles, did not want to interact with us except to ask us questions and have us give him short, specific answers. Not Jim’s style; he likes to chat. Fortunately we were sent on our way with no problems. However, Jim sat right where we were to change his speedometer to kilometers again, from miles as we had been using in Alaska. The officer came out of the booth and asked us to move along because we were blocking the roadway. Now, this is not at all a busy place. You couldn’t see anyone else in either direction. Fortunately Jim had just finished and we took off before that big onrush of traffic caught up with us (kidding).

Late morning Jim saw a mama and baby moose; unfortunately, they were too far into the bushes for us to get a photograph.

We lunched at a viewpoint, which is always special. Jim talked to another driver who was an Irishman visiting Alaska from Los Angeles. It’s been great to meet people from so many places: Saskatchewan, Canada; Manchester, England; Cologne, Germany; Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and a Colorado family moving to Anchorage where the husband was being assigned to the Air Force base. We have met a lot of interesting people.

We drove through a large area that had recently been on fire. The earth was scorched and the blackened trees were just bare and forlorn sticks. The fire was completely out, but you could still smell the smoke, even with the windows rolled up. A pretty barren sight, but we have learned that the lodge pole pines that grow in this area are just waiting for fire:

From: A Moment of Science

Lodgepole Pine Trees Love Forest Fires

By Heather Love
Posted October 9, 2018

Serotinous Seeds

When lodgepole pines grow, especially in areas that are prone to forest fires, their cones are tightly sealed. A layer of resin and woody tissue sticks the cones’ scales together. The seeds are locked in tight, and the cones can’t open unless they’re exposed to VERY high temperatures like the type of temperatures that fire provides.

“Serotinous” is a scientific term for a seed that requires an environmental trigger in order to be released. For the lodgepole pine, that trigger is heat . . .  They can hang out on the tree branches for several years waiting for enough heat to open them up!

Lodgepoles After The Wildfire

So, if multiple years’ worth of cones can accumulate, then a lot of new pine trees sure must sprout up after a fire.

Lodgepole pines are famous for colonizing post-fire landscapes. The seeds love the carbon rich soil that fire leaves behind, and seedlings pop up almost immediately. They grow into dense stands of trees, and before you know it, there’s a whole new crop of serotinous cones waiting in anticipation for the next fire to blaze through.

Destruction Bay was where we had planned to stop for the night, but there wasn’t much there, it was early, and we were listening to a good book, so we just kept on driving on to Beaver Creek. Just as we entered the town, the Warning: Out of Gas signal came on. I had suggested getting gas before we left Destruction Bay, but Jim was certain we could make it. It’s a good thing he was right; I would not have been happy to be stranded on the side of the road in the Yukon Territory.!

We got set up for the night, visited the IGA to replenish some grocery items, and then went back to Ollie for dinner. Just as we returned we could see a beautiful double rainbow. It started sprinkling and then the downpour arrived, lasting only about 20 minutes, but it was very windy and the rain beat down on us and I was hoping for it to last much longer; I love sleeping in a storm!  ME

Day 18

Thursday, July 18, 2019.  

Jim was the first to see her, he handed me the good camera and stopped along the side of the road so I could get a picture.  We drove slowly so we wouldn’t scare her, but as we got close enough to take a picture, she turned and walked into the trees.  I saw that she wasn’t moving away from us, so we just stopped and waited.  Fortunately she got comfortable with us being there and came back out to eat leaves off the tree.  It was the first time I have ever been that close to a moose, and I was thrilled!

We spent the night in Glennallen then up and out early the next morning to get to Anchorage.  ME

Day 19

July 19, 2019.  Most of the day was spent driving to Anchorage.  It took longer than we expected because there was major road construction happening, and long waits for pilot cars to get us through the mess.

Alaska Road Construction

We have all seen road construction of many kinds as we have driven the roads. So far on or Alaska adventure we have experienced gravel along US Hwy 2 in Montana. In one village it turned to mud 2-3 inches deep with slight hills. I put Ruby into 4 wheel High to make sure we did not get stuck. In Canada the construction we encountered was after reworking the surface they would spray oil/tar and then drive backward with a dump truck bleeding out a gravel and dirt mixture. Next came the rollers and voila done.

But now for Alaska. You know how they say “Everything is bigger in Texas.” Well you can get almost 2-1/2 Texases in Alaska. So I guess that is why the road construction here is nothing like I have ever seen. After doing the preliminary work of putting in culverts the next thing to go down is a layer of stone. This is not gravel. These stones are 6-8 inches on a side. The layer is 3 feet thick. In places this layer had a plastic membrane under it, that was about ¼ inch thick. Over the stone they put a layer of dirt and smaller stones I am not sure how thick as they were still adding more and rolling it down. Then came the asphalt. When finished the road is smooth and wonderful to drive. Maybe we can come back another time to see how they hold up.  JMS

We arrived in Anchorage and got set up at our campsite at Golden Nugget RV Park, then went exploring in the city.  After checking out the local eateries, we selected the Fat Ptarmigan in downtown Anchorage.  Check out their pizza menu.  It was the best wood fired pizza I’ve every had!  Mine was Hot Coppa and Jim had the Mushroom.  So glad we had leftovers for lunch.  ME


Day 20

Saturday, July 20, 2019.   I got up early so I could get to the Ford dealer before they opened. Ruby needed and deserved an Oil change since we just drove about 4400 miles and were about 100 miles over the change the oil now mileage. I had been to the Ford dealer the evening before to find out if they were open for oil changes on Saturday since their website said the Service Department was closed on Saturdays. The service manager (Ann) in the special department for oil changes, and tire sales, said they open at 8:00 AM but if I wanted to be first in line I should get there before she opens the gate at 7:30. I arrived at 7:15 but I was behind 2 fellows in a pickup from Virginia. They are retired brick layers who worked together for years and now take trips together. We had great conversations as we waited for the work to be done. I was outa there by 9:15. I ask Ann where could I take Ruby to get her a bath. She recommended the Pink Elephant Car Wash and gave me the address. Then it was back to the RV Park to remove the mud flaps so that I could go thru the car wash. After Ruby got her bath it was again back to the RV Park to reattach the mud flaps and see if ME was ready to go.

ME was ready so first we went was to the Oomingmak Musk Ox Co-Op. The Co-Op is a group of 250 native Alaskan women from remote villages who hand knit scarves, ear warmers, and hats of varies designs. Qiviut is the downy-soft underwool from the Arctic musk ox. This material is 8 times warmer than wool, not scratchy, and will NOT shrink. These were beautiful hand-made items that were so light and soft soooo nice.

Next it was back to Ollie to have left-over pizza for lunch. I believe ME told you about the wonderful pizza. After lunch it was off to the Alaska Native Heritage Center. This facility is beautiful with many different areas of interest. I am going to focus on what ME did not see.

The center educates in many ways, stories, songs, dance, all manner of art and handicrafts, tools, clothing, and domiciles of the 5 different groups of peoples. I say 5 but 4 of the 5 are made up of at least 2 and sometimes 4 related peoples. The 5 groups differ by location, terrain, available animals/foods, and flora in the areas where they live. The coastal groups tended to be less nomadic and lived in larger groups. Because they have a ready food source available in the ocean year around. The groups that lived more inland tended to be nomadic following different animals for hunting and in summer go to the rivers for fishing. We listened to stories, then walked thru the cultural galleries where each the lifestyles were explained and then into the area where several artisans were displaying/selling their hand-crafted items. After reviewing the handicrafts I went outside to walk around the lake and see the examples of each group’s domicile.

The 2 groups who live in the areas covered by the Boreal Forest lived in houses made completely from logs/wood. Where the groups from the islands and tundra areas lived in homes covered with earth. They still used logs for support beams but the tops were covered with dirt and plants. The Inupiaq & St. Lawrence Island Yupik used driftwood timbers for the framing then covered the whole thing with dirt/plants. The door in and the whole in the roof to let out smoke were both too small for a Polar Bear to enter. BTW the Polar Bear is one of only 2 animals in the world that hunt humans for food…. Before you ask, Bengal Tiger. This group mark their houses with the jaw bone of a Bowhead whale so they can find their house in the winter when everything is covered feet deep in snow. The 2 jaw bones outside this house were about 12 feet high.

Each of the different houses had a person inside to explain from what, how the home was built. Also there were tools, animal skins and crafts used by the specific peoples who lived in each house.

On the shore of the small lake was a gray whale skeleton and a kayak as well. All in all I loved this place and hope we can go again while we have Quelise on board.  JMS

While Jim was off looking at the different houses, I was attending an educational program put on by Native high school / college age students from different cultural groups in the State.  Each was dressed in Native “regalia.”  They prefer this word to “costume” because costume denotes something you wear to pretend to be someone or something else.  “Regalia” means special clothes and decorations, especially those used at official ceremonies.   Since these are the clothes of their people, they are not pretending to be something they are not; this is who they are and what they wear for their ceremonies.

The first presentation was a group six, three women and two men were dancers and the fourth woman was the speaker who talked about the dances and where they came from.  She also discussed the clothing and boots worn by each of the dancers, explaining not only what they were made from but also any cultural significance to the way they were made or the way they were decorated.  Alaska is a land of many native people, with five major cultural groups.  The location of these cultural groups is shown on a large map that spans the entire back of the auditorium.   At the end of the presentation the speaker talked about having just graduated from college the day before and that she would be leaving her home and moving to teach school in another part of Alaska where she had never been before.  Her presentation, and the dances, were excellent.

The second presentation was The Alaska Native Games:  Power, Balance and Focus.  A native athlete talked about the games, which are performed competitively by both men and women.  He performed the One Foot High Kick, which consists of the athlete jumping off both feet simultaneously, kicking a ball with any part of one foot, and returning to the floor maintaining balance on the kicking foot. Every athlete has up to three attempts to kick at each height.  If he fails after three attempts, he is out.

These sports are played in a competition similar to the Olympics.  Follow the link below to learn about all of the events played at these games.


The third presentation was by one of the male dancers I had seen earlier in the day.  He was the storyteller, sharing his personal accounts of how difficult life is in his mother’s home town where a gallon of gas costs upwards of $9.00.  (We paid $3.09/gallon in Anchorage), which is why she had left the area.  Rambling personal stories; learning to speak in public.  ME

Day 21

Sunday, July 21, 2019. 

The Great RV TP Quest

It had become critical. We needed to find RV TP before it was too late. We had already tried using “other” TP, but Jim was concerned . . . would it clog up the plumbing?

Based on his fears, and my desire to save the thick TP rolls (don’t ask), we started on our Great RV TP Quest.

Seeming like a good starting point, we punched REI into the GPS. On the way to our destination we saw what we thought was an REI, but it said “Co-op” so we kept on driving to the location given us by GPS. It took us to an empty building.

But all was not lost because we needed a few things from Walgreens and it was right there at the corner.

Next we maneuvered the many one-way streets of Anchorage to get back to the REI “Co-op” we had previously driven by. They had TP meant for backpackers, but the 1” pack was definitely not meant for us.

Sorting by category “camping stores” on our GPS, we next headed to Alaskan Outdoor Gear Rental; they had kayaks but no TP. Then we plugged Cabella’s into the GPS: 155 W. 10th Avenue. But when we got there, that part of 10th was a residential street. Checked the address again. Not 10th but 104th Street, seven miles away. Upon arrival at Cabella’s at the correct address, Jim asked one of the employees (Ashley) if they had any RV TP. She said they were out in her department, but there was one other place they might have it in the store. Jim and Ashley walked across the entire store to find an empty RV TP shelf.

Any other place in town we should check? Ashley called their sister store, Bass Pro Shop, and employee Jim told her that they had one 4-pack. Ashley asked them to please hold it for her customer. Off to Bass Pro Shop, with many thanks to Ashley.

Eureka! We got the last four-pack in town. The great TP caper was a success!

While Jim was making friends with Ashley at Cabella’s, she recommended we try Kriner’s Burgers & Pies for lunch. Huge burgers on homemade buns, with lots of toppings. They even have homemade candied jalapenos. The meat was a bit dry (I personally think the meat didn’t have enough fat content and even speculate that it could have been buffalo), but they had so many things on them that it was hard to be disappointed. Bacon, Jalapeno Cheese, crispy onion strings & BBQ sauce (on the side please). They also had a large variety of cream pies with mounds of whipped cream on them. I personally prefer a two-crust pie like cherry or apple. We passed on the pies. Too full now to even consider dinner.

Today was a day to get caught up on a few things, so aside from traipsing all over town looking for toilet paper, we mostly did household things you can’t get away from even when you are on vacation:  laundry, cleaning, paperwork.  We chatted with Quelise.  She arrives in Anchorage tomorrow late afternoon with her cousin, Jenessa and her SO, Trevor.  They are going to spend a week in Homer and then we will pick her up.  Jenessa & Trevor will return home to the Bay Area, and Q will spend the next week with us.

Every day is a good day when you’re on vacation, even laundry day.  ME


End of Week 3